Mission Zone

Mission Zone

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Week 55

Visión Nuevo San Juan

Dearest Family and Friends,

Hows everyone doing today?

So Elder Godoy is still with me. He should be out of here in a few days, but right now were in a trio! Elder Marin is my new comp, from Peru. Hes AWESOME. Super smart and super funny. 20 months in the mission, finally have a comp with more experience than I do. We get along great. 

 I have had a weird week. Ups and downs really. Im happy, but we have had some hardships this last week. Alvin, one of our investigators and Andy's bestfriend, died this week. He played soccer one night and got hit with an asthma attack and passed away. Its been extremely hard for his family. And Its hard to teach someone and have them progressing towards baptism, and then they pass away. Obviously the thought races if they will have a chance in the next life to accept the gospel, but alvin was a great kid. Andy was getting him pumped for baptism and was going to baptize him. I know he'll have the chance still. 

Its been interesting to see Andy go through this trial. We went to go visit him the day after the funeral to see how he was holding up and the first thing he asks us when we got there was "so can I be baptized for Alvin?!" Hes very excited to go to the temple in a year and be baptized for alvin. Its awesome to see how much the gospel has helped Andy make it through this challenge. 

We witnessed a miracle here in San Juan! Dunia Ortez's ex husband took her to court for custody of their children because he said that those two men in ties, or in other words us missionaries, were going to rape his children. In reality it was just a tactic to get at Dunia. She was terribly shooken up on sunday when we went to see her and we assured her the Lord would put forth his arm. She prayed that night for guidance and then opened up her brand new triple. She opened to mormon 8 which says.
 17  Y si hay errores, son errores del hombre. Mas he aquí, no sabemos que haya errores; no obstante, Dios sabe todas las cosas; por tanto, cuídese aquel que condene, no sea que corra peligro del fuego del infierno.
 18  Y el que diga: Mostradme o seréis heridos, cuídese, no sea que mande lo que el Señor ha prohibido.
 19  Porque he aquí, el que precipitadamente juzgue, precipitadamente será también juzgado; pues según sus obras, será su paga; por tanto, aquel que hiera será, a su vez, herido del Señor.
In her court case, the first thing she did was defend her religion. She brought her triple and read that verse to the judge and in her ex's face. In the end, the judge ended up reaming the ex husband and giving more rights to dunia. How awesome is that story?! I was shocked.

We had a meeting with all of the members this week to present them our new plan for san juan. We have about 25-30 active members in san juan and theres like 200 less actives. So we sat them down and presented them a plan and gave them visiting asignments. The meeting was great, the members were pumped and we are going to see miracles here in San Juan! 

To close, I had a cool experience yesterday. The young mens stake president had a fireside last night with all the parents and youth of those who wanted to serve missions. He asked me to speak and share a little bit of what I did to prepare myself for my mission. I expected to speak for 10 minutes, and it felt like 10 minutes, but without noticing I had talked with them for 35 minutes. I felt a little dumb after, but I am super happy for all the work I put in BEFORE my mission, because its made my work here in the mission easier. 

Well. I love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment